Glossary of Adia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A list of terms exclusively used in Adia and their meanings/equivalents, since this pedia is written mainly from an in-character point of view. Ones with links on them have further explanation on the particular term.
- Almen — (from Ælamarium, some butchered Latin about being a place of alms) The religious institutions, rites and authorities, usually national, that represent and govern Amatorians as a unified body. Used in a similar way to the Christian Church. Its Foriscian equivalent is the Covenant.
- Amatorian (from Amatorism, ultimately from Amatoria)— Anything pertaining to the Matriarchal religion of Amatorism, or an adherent of it.
- Antraean — Anything pertaining to the subcontinent/region of Antraea.
- Cavornine — pertaining to the heavens (in Amatorism), "celestial".
- Conditary — pertaining to the Conditary World, usually a shorthand for "modern, populist, egalitarian" societies.
- Foriscian — anything pertaining to the religion of Foriscism, or an adherent of it.
- Futurism — A radical ideology that desires the reorganization and accelerated advancement of society in order to reach "The Absolute", a state of civilization that has transcended hum
- Gentism — The closest notion of "nationalism" in Adia, based more around civilizations and "ritual mores" than on particular ethnic lines.
- Kahyiw — Tacanian agronomy.
- Magister — A statesman, functionary. Magisters tend to be executives within Novatist republics.
- Metaphysica — Thaumatological based around a secular, scientific lens, "magic without religious overtones". Common in conditary/modernist societies.
- Progressivism — A political tendency (much more coherent and expanded compared to its IRL counterpart) which values social and technological progress as a path towards equitable societies. Progressivists intend to change the system (or improve it) to accommodate greater society.
- Research state — a frontier polity, usually minimalist, who's primary policies are centered around the research and scientific assessment of their unexplored limits. The Progressivized Hallegian states initially took this form.
- Thaumatology — The science of Magic and Alchemy, the study of energies and its manipulation. Includes Nuclear Physics, for some reason. Currently divided into two disciplines: Divination (religious application) and Metaphysics (secular application).
- Thaumatologist — Practitioner of Thaumatology, though it's usually used to refer to experts in such fields.
- Thaumaturge — Similar to Thaumatologist, but referred to for much more practical roles (i.e oneiromancy)